You are currently viewing 5 Sure Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

5 Sure Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

One of the most important things that people ignore in their homes is the electrical wiring, especially when everything’s smooth sailing and working perfectly. This is why when electrical problems arise, people tend to panic. You need to perform regular checks and maintenance on your home’s wiring to ensure the best protection against fire and other hazards.

If you live in a regular house or apartment unit, you have to be very careful with your electrical wiring. Electrical wiring problems can cause a fire to break out. Make sure to regularly check your home’s wiring for any signs of problems.

Here are some signs that indicate some of the wires in your home’s electrical wiring are faulty and need to be replaced.

Dimming Lights

Most houses have dimmer switches on their lights. These are 2-way switches that can control the intensity of the lights both ways, from bright to dim or dim to bright. If you notice that the lights in your house are dimming when they shouldn’t, this could mean that the dimmer switch is faulty.

If the dimmer switch is faulty, then electrical wiring could also be faulty and requires immediate replacement. When a dimmer switch stops working, you can expect the light to go out completely.

Sparking or Shock

When you’re zapping or getting zapped with electrical sparks coming from the lights in your house, there’s definitely a problem. Sparks indicate a poor connection somewhere in the electrical wiring, leading to a fire.

To avoid this, you should always replace old and faulty electrical wiring with new and up-to-date wiring in your house.

Unusual Humming Sound

If you notice a humming sound coming from the lights when you’re trying to sleep in your room, then this could mean that there’s a problem with the dimmer switch or the electrical wiring in your house.

If the sound is coming from lights that are plugged into a socket, this could mean that the socket has become loose. The humming sound is usually a sign that a loose connection is present in the socket. To fix this problem, you should always make sure that you install the right type of socket for the electrical system of your house.

If the sound is coming from lights that are hard-wired into the walls, then you should immediately call a professional electrician to check if your house’s electrical wiring needs to be replaced.

Hot/Charred Outlets

If you are experiencing hot or charred outlets in your home, there’s definitely a problem. Most electric outlets heat up when they’re left idle for too long. This means that it’s a sign that there’s a loose connection somewhere in the electrical wiring.

Many people don’t know what to do when they notice that the outlets in their house are getting hot. The first thing you should remember is to unplug all electrical appliances in your house. This includes the television, microwave, toaster oven and air conditioning unit.

You should never touch the outlet if you notice it’s hot and check if the wiring is burnt. Immediately call a professional electrician to check if your house’s electrical wiring needs to be replaced.

Burning Odour

A burning odour is the most common sign of a dangerous electrical problem in your house. A burning smell may come from electrical wires that have become frayed, or there’s a bad connection.

Another possible reason for this problem is that people are using ungrounded appliances. For example, you may sometimes notice a burning odour coming from the bathroom or kitchen. This is usually because people use appliances that don’t have a ground wire.

These electrical problems can cause a fire to break out, which can destroy your entire home and cause severe injuries or even death. That’s why it’s important to regularly check the electrical wiring in your home to avoid any electrical problems.

Conclusion

Your home’s electrical wiring is one of the most important things you should take care of. If you notice that any of these signs are present in your house, you should immediately call for help.

Blue Electrical is a team of electrical contractors in North Brisbane that provides electrical repair, replacement and installation services for residential and commercial properties. Let us help you with your electrical problems in your home. Contact us today to get started! We serve North Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Bribie Island.

Leave a Reply