You are currently viewing The Risks of Fires at Home Due to Faulty Electrical Wires

The Risks of Fires at Home Due to Faulty Electrical Wires

Faulty electrical wiring can endanger your home. In Australia, electrical fires are the most common cause of house fires. If you pay attention to your power lines and identify the signs of poor electrical wiring, you can prevent many house fires before they happen.

The Main Risks of Faulty Electrical Wiring

1. Electrocution

Electrocution is a direct threat to your safety. You can be electrocuted if you are operating electrical equipment that is wired improperly. Even if the electricity is disconnected, the wiring can still be live and therefore dangerous.

The metal housing of the electrical appliance can catch fire and burn you when it’s exposed to live electrical wiring.

2. Fire

Faulty electrical wiring can cause a fire. The wires are not insulated, so they can cause fires when they come into contact with water. The water can cause the wires to short circuit, and the insulation will prevent them from being cut off. This will cause a fire, spreading and destroying your home.

Indicators That You May Have Faulty Electrical Wiring

a) Repeated Outages

Faulty electrical wiring can easily cause frequent power outages. If your home has constant power outages and you are not able to correct the issue, you need to check the wiring immediately.

b) Cool Areas

If you have electrical outlets that have been getting cooler while the ones around them remain warm, it is possible there is faulty wiring. The wires are overheating and shorting out. The heat is escaping through the cold areas.

c) Wires Are Wobbly

If your wires are loose, it could also indicate an electrical problem. Wires should be firmly secured to the outlet box.

d) Lights Flicker

If you notice that the lights in your home flicker, even though you have the lights off and it is not windy outside, it is a sign that you may have faulty wiring. Lights that flicker will eventually burn out.

e) Noisy Electrical Outlets

Electrical outlets that make creaking or buzzing noises when you plug the equipment in may indicate faulty wiring. The outlets can easily short circuit and cause a fire.

f) Strange Smells

If you notice a burning smell near your electrical outlets, it clearly shows you have faulty wiring.

g) Sparks

When your appliances are unplugged, you should not see sparks. If you notice sparks in your home, it is a sign that you have faulty wiring.

How To Check For Faulty Electrical Wiring?

1. Check the Outlets

When you are checking the outlets in your home, you should check all the outlets for loose screws and metal housing. It can be loose or have noticeable bulges, which is a sign that there is a problem. Also, when checking the outlets, you should ensure that the wire is securely tucked into the outlet box and that the outlet covers are secure.

2. Check The Wiring

You should check the wires and cords of your power tools. If you notice that there is insulation missing, it is a sign that the wires may be faulty.

3. Check for Signs of Any Contact

When you check the outlets, you should check for burned-out bulbs and outlets that are hot to the touch. This can be a sign that the wiring is faulty. If the electrical wiring is touching anything and it is exposed, it is a sign that you should consider having a professional electrician inspect it.

Conclusion

Faulty electrical wiring can cause serious problems in your home. The wiring may also short circuit, which can cause a fire. You may prevent any fires in your home by checking the wiring yourself. If you do not notice any problems, you should still have your home inspected by a professional electrician.

If you are looking for a local electrician on the Sunshine Coast, look no further than our experts here at Buderim Electrical. We are your electrical and air conditioning specialists, providing you with quality service to ensure that your home will be safe from fire and electrical hazards all the time. Call us today and let us tend to your faulty wiring.

Leave a Reply